Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

People are so polite and courteous

We have only been here in the US for a week but I am amazed at how polite and lovely everyone has been. Not just people in a service environment (although they have been great aswell) but just general strangers in the street.

If you drop something - people will jump to pick it up for you, if you are struggling with your stroller (as I often am - that darn thing is heavy with two kids in it) people will open a door for you or help you down the last step.  If someone accidentally bumps you in the street - they look you in the eyes and apologise like they really mean it.  People will say "Hello, how you doin' today?" and actually care for the answer.  If you ask for directions, people will stop and smile and give you all the info you need and more.

Its just so lovely.  

I don't know why I am so floored by this but it just seems really noticeable.  We are friendly in Australia - if fact we are known for it but we also seem to be much more wary, perhaps less trusting???  

I find myself smiling more, helping others more, striking up more conversations, meeting and talking to more people.  Could it be because I am new to this city and want to put myself out there more than I would back in Melbourne? - maybe.  Whatever the reason, I am really enjoying it.

Makes me feel welcome in this new city.

Thanks Washington DC!

No comments:

Post a Comment