Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Mumma, why are the post boxes blue?

I love to travel.  I embrace the differences of the places I go to.  I like trying new food, meeting new people and seeing different things.

This time, in Washington DC, I am seeing it all through the eyes of my darling boys.  Master 3 particularly.  Master 1 could be on the moon - as long as his tummy was full he wouldn't care!

For Master 3, this new place is overwhelming.  Even the smallest things seem strange.  The eggs are pure white (like in the picture books) instead of brown.  I pointed out a fire engine to him the other day that was literally going straight past us with its siren blaring but he didn't see it.  Why not?..."That's not a fire engine mumma, its yellow" - of course (they do have red fire engines here aswell but the yellow one must have been a special kind - confusing, I know!).

This was a lightbulb moment for me.

Many of the things that I must have been referring to or pointing out to him as we have been exploring, he had absolutely no idea what I was talking about!  

So I have begun to point out things to him like the post boxes are dark blue instead of red, the police cars and black and white instead of white and blue. Bob the Builder doesn't necessarily "sound funny" he just has an American accent. He seems able to process things better if he can associate with things in Australia. 

When someone asks him where he is from he will reply with our full Australian address - haha!  Have had to have some practice at just saying "Australia".  Its gorgeous!

I never thought we would travel overseas with our kids until they were at least much older but seeing this new place from my little boy's perspective is just amazing and makes me want to do it more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment