Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Are you a planner or prefer to go with the flow?

Are you a planner or like to figure it out when you get there? Maybe a bit of both? 

I am a planner and I LOVE to research!  Part of the excitement for me of going somewhere new, seeing something different or even making a new purchase is the research that goes into it.  I enjoy the thrill of the plan (I need to get a life right! haha!).

Before we came to Washington DC, I did sooooo much research.  Everything you could think of from groups to join to must see places.  The power of Google is endless.

I had a comprehensive list of websites to go to, groups to join, local supermarkets, best coffee, best kid friendly restaurants, local gyms and how many minutes it took to walk to the closest metro (train) stop.  Some may call it retentive but hey, it satisfies my control freak tendancies and I can hit the ground running!

I admire people that are spontaneous, fly by the seat of their pants, it'll be alright when we get there.  I kind of wish I was more like that and often fight the urge to plan and pre-organise everything.  But alas, I can't do it. So might as well embrace it!  

In the first couple of days after we arrived here we have managed to join three mum's groups and enrolled in a Gymbaroo type of program for the boys called JW Tumbles.  It feels good to be able to get into everything quickly.  

We have a few things in the diary now which makes it easier to settle and establish a routine.  It also gets us out of the house and doing things ensuring we can maximise this amazing opportunity.

These were my top living abroad with kids research priorities (in no particular order):
  • Parks (with play equipment)
  • Good coffee
  • Supermarket
  • Local library
  • Kid friendly restaurants
  • Local chemist and medical centre
  • Gym
  • Train/bus system
  • Meetup groups
What do you look for in a new place?

No comments:

Post a Comment