Pages

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Less cynicism, more celebration

Any excuse for a celebration, I say. Or so I thought.

After living in the USA, I have come to a realisation that I don't celebrate enough.

In fact, I would go as far as to say that I am somewhat cynical when it comes to celebrating.



Let me give you some examples of what I do/have done in these celebratory moments:

  • Valentines Day - don't do it, don't believe in it
  • Birthdays - usually a small gathering of just family, unless it is an "0" birthday
  • New House - nothing
  • Baby born - baby shower for Master 4, not for Master 1
  • Halloween - don't do it, don't believe in it
  • Easter - family get together
  • Christmas - Probably the biggest one - house decorated, big meal, presents, everyone together
  • Anzac Day - nothing
  • Australia Day - maybe a small BBQ
  • New Years Eve - think its a fizzer most of the time and the kids get up at the crack of dawn anyway so we were in bed by 10pm for the last few years.
  • Anniversaries - no presents, just a nice dinner
  • Grand Final Day - small BBQ
  • Melbourne Cup Day - nothing
  • Labour Day - nothing

Sad and pathetic.

Right...new resolution for when we get home - Less cynicism, more celebrating.

I have loved the build up, the tradition and the celebrations that we have been a part of in the USA.  Nothing is looked upon as over the top, its just a wonderfully inclusive, communal and enveloping feeling of positivity and something to look forward to.

The change of the season was probably the first one that we witnessed and all the traditions that came with that.  We arrived when summer was finishing and fall (autumn) was beginning.  The fall meant cooler weather, the leaves turning, harvests, hay rides, festivals, pumpkins and apples, Halloween and Thanksgiving.

The shop fronts were all decorated in Autumn leaves and pumpkins and the supermarkets displayed all the traditional foods that represent the Fall.  I wrote in a previous post about how the celebration of Halloween over here has changed my perception of this holiday (Our first Halloween experience).  We are now looking forward to Thanksgiving and what this holiday represents.

I don't know where my cynicism comes from?  I think it might be the way I was bought up - not to be too OTT (over the top).  Maybe its a cultural thing - as Australians, we are more laid back and tend not to be too raa raa about "stuff".

Maybe we should get more raa raa about stuff?  Raa Raa is good, right?  Why not celebrate? Why not get people together? Why not promote the goodwill and feeling of connectedness that comes with each celebration? Why not get into the spirit?

Why not? I say.

Still can't wrap my head around Valentines Day though...

Do you like to celebrate? or prefer to keep it low key?
_______________________________________

Image courtesy of www.stockfreeimages.com

1 comment:

  1. Well christmas is on way... So many options are available in gifts But I've been trying to figure out a fun, homemade christmas gifts for him on this Christmas.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete