Pages

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Developmental Dysplasia of the Hip (DDH): A diagnosis

It was my 32 week pre-natal appointment with Master 4. After a thorough check of my preggie belly, my obstetrician says "I think this baby is coming bottom first".

Little did I know at the time, this was the beginning of our journey with Developmental Dysplasia of the Hip (DDH).  DDH is a medical term for general instability, or looseness, of the hip joint. It is also known as "Clicky hips", "Dislocatable hips", "Unstable hips" or "Loose hips".

At the time of my appointment, I didn't really think much of what my obstetrician said.  Afterall, I was only 32 weeks - the baby had plenty of time to turn. Right?

Wrong.  I did everything I possibly could to turn that baby naturally - pelvic rocking on all fours (yes, seriously?!), pre-natal chiropractic treatment, acupuncture, moxibustion (that's a story for another day).  Weekly appointments followed and by 37 weeks, baby still hadn't turned.

An ultrasound confirmed that baby was, indeed, breech and in fact was "frank breech" - meaning that bubs feet were beside his/her ears.  My obstetrician presented all the facts of a natural delivery vs a caesarean delivery of a frank breech baby.  After much research (and still more pelvic rocking), we decided a caesarean was it and a date was booked.

Through my research I had also come across the risk factors for the health of breech babies and the high risk of developing DDH was one of these.  I was concerned but hoped for the best - afterall it wasn't a certainty, just a possibility.

Master 4 was born at 40 weeks via caesarean and weighed 9lb or just over 4kg.  We were so completely amazed, proud and happy.  He was our gorgeous little boy and we finally got to meet him.  

Our paediatrician was present at the birth and immediately confirmed - his hips were completely dislocatable.  He came to see us the next day and advised the official diagnosis of DDH.  Our boy would need to go into a brace 24/7 until it was corrected "normally around three months, but we will see how it goes" he said.

In that moment, we were devastated.  Devastated that he had something wrong with him and at the uncertainty of the outcome.  It was also all the practical things like the awkwardness of feeding a baby in a brace, not being able to give him a proper bath or not being able to wear normal baby clothes as they wouldn't fit over the brace.

He was so beautiful, small and innocent - he didn't deserve this.  He was fitted with the brace at three days old and home we went - uncertain but with a plan.

Bringing a new baby home is an emotional roller coaster even without a condition that needs to be managed.  We had our up days and down days but there was a consistent focus to do everything in our power to make sure that our gorgeous little boy's hips would eventually become "normal".  

Never in my life had I wished to hear that word more.
______________________________________________

I completely acknowledge that DDH is not a life threatening condition and there are far far worse diagnoses.  We had a small glimpse into what it is like to find out there is something wrong with your baby.  My heart goes out to all parents that have ever had to confront these emotions - large or small.

No comments:

Post a Comment