Pages

Friday, December 14, 2012

The 5kg mission: Weeks 3 & 4

It's been four weeks of The 5kg mission.  

Follow the mission here:
The 5kg mission: The 5 step plan
The 5kg mission: Weeks 1 & 2

Week 3, I lost 1.8kg

Week 4, I put on 500g

So I am still ahead.

Four days of Week 4 were spent in New York City on a long weekend away with friends.  I found it difficult to maintain a low calorie regime while eating out for lunch and dinner.  Luckily in the US, many places list the amount of calories in each menu choice which I am finding really useful (and insightful).  Lucky we walked and walked and walked while we were there.

One thing that working in the health and fitness industry for five years has taught me is that the equation for successful weight loss is pretty simple - burn more calories than you consume.  Yes, there are sometimes genetic and medical factors that prohibit this from happening but for the majority of people there are two choices 1. Consume less calories or 2. Move more.

I know that I could lose weight quicker by taking up running or completely cutting out skinny latte's but the truth is - I don't wanna!

For me, this process needs to be realistic and sustainable.  Something I can follow and maintain.  I have already learnt things about this process just from keeping a food and exercise journal:
  • The amount of cheese I was eating was a contributing factor to not being able to budge weight
  • A couple of vodka and diet coke's on a Friday night is better than half a bottle of red wine
  • Just get a coffee - don't get that muffin aswell - even if it is banana and blueberry (which sounds healthy but is full of calories)
  • I love walking (and it does count as exercise)
These 5kg are annoying and I knew they were going to be. But, they will come off and I know that by doing it this way, they will STAY OFF and that is the shining beacon that keeps motivating me.

_____________________________________
Image courtesy of www.stockfreeimages.com

No comments:

Post a Comment